Long-time Chief Executive Officer Ben Silbermann of Pinterest would step down, handing over the reins of the social media platform to Google...

Stock Market

Google executive to take over as a new CEO of Pinterest

Top accounting firm Ernst & Young has been slammed with a record $100 million fine from the US government...

Stock Market

Accounting firm gets 100 million fine for faulty regulations

The Indian rupee slipped into a fresh low today and extended losses against the US dollar.

Forex

The rupee tumbled to a new low against the dollar in the midst of an increase in crude oil price

Wall Street saw a sharp fall at its closing in a broad sell-off. Consumers' worries over recession have sparked up...

Stock Market

Wall Street Lose Balance after recession strikes growth fear among consumers’

Soaring inflation may be pushing the US economy into a deep recession. Last week's 0.75% interest rate hike by the Federal Reserve...

Stock Market

Inflation ringing the recession bell - Mohammed Shaheen

World

21 Dec 2021

Philippine Typhoon Survivors Pleading for Food; 1.8 Million People Affected

The Index Today

Philippine officials and residents of areas that was hit by the Typhoon Rai pleaded for food, water, and shelter on Tuesday as damaged roads, continuous flooding, and cut off power and communication lines delayed the relief operations.

According to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, Rai struck last Thursday, and was recorded as the strongest typhoon to hit the archipelago this year, killing nearly 400 people and affecting 1.8 million, displacing 630,000 of them. At least 375 people were killed and 56 are still missing. More than 500 were injured, police said on Tuesday.

Fely Pedrablanca mayor of Tubajon town on Dinagat Island said "Our food supply is running low. Maybe, in a few days, we will totally run out."

The area, facing the Pacific Ocean, was devastated by the typhoon and she said only nine out of more than 2,000 homes in her town were left standing.

The coast guard has already deployed vessels to help in relief work and in trying to reach areas still cut-off, while the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) planned to ferry people to safety, including foreign tourists stranded on the holiday island of Siargao.

"We're fighting a tremendous disaster. It's Haiyan all over again," PRC Chairman Richard Gordon told Reuters, referring to one of the most powerful tropical cyclones ever recorded, which killed 6,300 people in the Philippines in 2013..

In the province of Southern Leyte, evacuation centres were also destroyed, said Roger Mercado, acting chief of the public works agency, as he appealed for tents and construction material.

Damage to infrastructure in Southern Leyte, where residents were also in desperate need of food and water, could reach 3 billion pesos ($60.14 million), Mercado told DZMM radio.


"The government prepositioned food and non-food items but they are not enough because many are in need," Danilo Atienza, Southern Leyte's disaster chief, told Reuters.

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday ordered the state agencies to restore power and communications as he promised 10 billion pesos ($200 million) for recovery efforts and relief operations.

According to the Reuters news, foreign aid has also started to arrive including countries from Japan and China, while the United Nations said it was working with partners to help in the areas of shelter, health, food, protection and other life-saving responses.


©Photo: Erwin Mascarinas/Greenpeace/Handout via REUTERS

Clay pottery with table linens