19 Dec 2021
Typhoon Rai Death Toll in Philippines Hits 75; Relief Operations still Ongoing
The Index Today
Provincial governor Arthur Yap said on Sunday, At least 49 people have died in the central Philippine province of Bohol, which was hardly hit by the powerful typhoon Rai that slammed into the country last week, as relief operations continued.
The official death toll recorded however, was still at 31. The national disaster agency, when asked if they were aware of the Bohol numbers, said its operations unit was yet to receive an official report from its provincial unit.
Yap said that Bohol, communication lines and power supply remained unavailable two days after Rai hammered it. The province is home to some of the country's popular tourist destinations, such as the Loboc River, which overflowed.
"It is very clear that the damage sustained by Bohol is great and all encompassing," he said in video posted on his Facebook account. "People have suffered greatly in terms of destroyed homes and agricultural losses."
He asked for relief donations, especially drinking water.
Rai, among the deadliest of the tropical storms to strike the Philippine archipelago this year, made nine landfalls, with a massive trail of destruction also reported in the provinces of Cebu, Leyte, Surigao del Norte, including the popular Siargao surfing destination, and Dinagat Islands.
About 20 tropical storms hit the Philippines every year, usually causing floods and landslides.